Our Top Six Back to School Safety Tips
At Papillion Sanitation, safety is always our #1 priority, and with the new school year just around the corner, we hope you will join us in making sure kids are safe on their way to and from school.
Here are some tips to share with your kids to help them safely navigate the streets:
- Cross at the Crosswalk. It’s never safe to cross in the middle of the street or between parked cars. Drivers—including those in big vehicles like garbage trucks—will have a difficult time seeing you and may not have enough time to react. When there isn’t a marked crosswalk, cross at the corner. And always look both ways before crossing any street.
- Give Trucks Extra Space. Trucks—including garbage trucks—take much longer to stop than cars. Play it safe and let a truck pass before crossing the street.
- Watch for Right Turns. Before stepping off the curb, always look over your shoulder to make sure there isn’t a vehicle behind you about to make a right turn directly into your path.
- Stay on the Sidewalk. Always stay on the sidewalk. When there isn’t a sidewalk, walk facing traffic and stay alert.
- Wear Your Bike Helmet. Helmets save lives. In states where there is a mandatory bicycle helmet law, the number of children’s bicycle-related traffic fatalities is 60% lower than states without helmet laws.
- Be Extra Careful in Parking Lots and Driveways. Parking lots, driveways and other “non-traffic” areas are just as dangerous as the streets. Garbage trucks that are backing up or servicing dumpsters, or any vehicle looking for a parking spot or backing out of a driveway, may not see you. So never play in a parking lot and be especially alert walking through these areas.
We wish you a fun and safe school year and hope you will join us in making safety your #1 priority!